Make a difference and travel the world with our Good Karma Yoga Retreats.
For 14 days, from June 1 to 15, 2015, our first Good Karma Yoga Retreat will be held in the Great Himalayan Mountains of northern India, a 2014 appointed UNESCO World Heritage Site. We'll visit sacred sites, trek in the Great Himalayas, practice yoga and meditation daily, learn basic language and history of the region, as well as donate our services to the local community. Our service projects will be in the Kullu valley and the Greater Himalayan National Park. Our retreat includes morning meditation and yoga, organic vegetarian meals (options for non-veg), trekking adventures with our team and kids from orphanages, travel photography workshops, as well as, cultural awareness classes, with options for Ayurvedic consultations and massage. For a few hours each day, we volunteer with various grass roots organizations such as schools, orphanages, and women's cooperatives. Volunteers can offer a variety of services including: art projects, english tutoring, small business assistance, marketing, documentary photography and website design. Our karma offerings will vary based on the needs of the community and volunteers that choose to participate.
After first arrival, our participants will receive cultural awareness classes where we will learn about local customs and courtesies. Classes include Hindi language essentials and historical, political and biodiversity overviews. We are ecologically mindful and strive to leave a light carbon footprint at home and abroad. We offer documentary photography workshops that focus on how to photograph people with respect and sensitivity. Our karma yoga retreat offers a cross cultural immersion while we work on impactful volunteer projects that help others thrive.
Our 14 day retreat program will be led by senior yoga teacher, Sophie Lowe, who is San Francisco born and now lives in Berlin, Germany. Please see her bio here. Our documentary photography workshops and volunteer photography for NGOs' assignments, will be offered by GKP director, Ana Grillo, www.anagrillo.com.
If you are already in India and would like to make your own travel arrangements to the Great Himalayan National Park, special arrangements can be made for you to join us, anytime during June 1-15, 2015.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information. Blessings for your good karma. Namaste.
GOOD KARMA YOGA RETREATS COSTS: 3 Options for accommodation packages
option 1: DORM - $1400 USD for our 14 day travel package, including New Delhi airport pick up and delivery, hotel stays in New Delhi, private chartered bus transportation, all meals with dorm accommodations at the Forest Guest House in the Great Himalayan National Park. Comfortable rooms with up to 10 beds, shared baths.
option 2: HOMESTAY - $1700 USD for Homestays near the GHNP with private baths and optional meals with family, a short walking distance from Forest Guest House and our Good Karma Yoga Shala. Includes our 14 day travel package, including New Delhi airport pick up and delivery, hotel stays in New Delhi with a visit to the Taj Majal, chartered bus transportation, all meals included.
option 3: SEMI-PRIVATE - $1800 USD for Private double accommodation rooms with private baths at the Forest Guest House. Includes our 14 day travel package, including New Delhi airport pick up and delivery, hotel stays in New Delhi, with a visit to the Taj Majal, chartered bus transportation, all meals included.
*FLEXIBLE DATE PROGRAM FOR INDIVIDUALS ALREADY TRAVELING IN INDIA. Travelers are welcome to join at any time during our 14 day program but will be responsible for their own lodging if our accommodations are full. We will assist you in finding alternative housing. Home-Stays are highly encouraged and can be arranged.
photos/link to the Forest Guest House below.
2 WEEK ITINERARY & PROGRAM OVERVIEW
- First 2 days, airport pickup in New Delhi with a stay in a comfortable hotel. We'll adjust to time difference and have a quick look at New Delhi.
- Private chartered bus trip to see the Taj Mahal and learn of its history. Day trip from Delhi.
- Private chartered bus to Kullu Valley, then onto the Great Himalayan National Park.
- Forest Guest House and private Home-stays check-ins. After rest, we'll have our introductions, first cultural awareness classes and assign karma yoga assignments to begin the following day.
- In addition to our volunteer projects, we'll visit sacred temples and trek in the Great Himalayan National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. We hike to waterfalls and hot mineral springs with options for Ayurvedic massages, consultations and other treatments.
- On our last day, we'll review our GK projects with our local community for feedback, reflection and sustainability plans and host a special Women's night showcasing the short films from our Documentary Filmmaking Bootcamp for Women.
- Chartered bus to back to New Delhi arriving on the evening of June 15, 2015.
- Full yoga program, daily morning classes with meditation at our Forest Yoga Shala
- All meals. Local organic vegetarian food while at the Forest Guest House
- Impactful volunteer projects with the local community
- Light treks in the Great Himalayas National Park, a UNESCO world heritage site
- a day trip to the Taj Mahal, one of the 7 great wonders of the world.
- Travel documentary photography workshops
- Cultural awareness, Biodiversity and basic Hindi language classes
- Chance to work on short documentary films about the women of local savings & loan groups.
- Saturday night movie nights
- Sunset meditation, walking and reflection time
- Pick up and delivery to and from New Delhi international airport
- Community of like minded individuals and life long friends from around the world
- an infectious feeling of purpose and meaning in your life
OUR BASIC DAILY SCHEDULE
- morning meditation
- hatha yoga class
- organic vegetarian morning meal
- free time
- Karma yoga: approx. 4 hours service with afternoon chai and sweet break and lunch option
- optional yoga class
- evening meal
- optional evening Sangha or community gatherings for sharing, reviews and adjustments.
How the Good Karma Project came to be... In 2008, while traveling 6 months in India, Ana Grillo volunteered for the Kullu Project in Manali and the greater Kullu valley, creating the photographs for their first website.The Kullu Project is a grass roots umbrella organization which supports several orphanages, schools, vocational programs and women’s cooperative groups living in the Kullu Valley region. Ana photographed 4 different orphanages, 3 schools, a women’s cooperative and boy’s vocational training program. She was inspired to return one day and make it possible for others to volunteer while on a yoga retreat in this beautiful Kullu valley, one of the most spectacular places on Earth. Special thanks to Ankit Sood and the Kullu project for their continued inspiration and generous support.